We are using Kids of Integrity for our character building lessons. A friend of mine (thank you Jackie) recommended and an awesome site, you can print off the whole lesson plan which comes with bible verses, science activities, etc. Plus it's FREE!
We recently did a lesson on obedience.
Shining for Jesus
2 small bowls
(1) Give children a small bowl pour 1/4 cup of vinegar give the children a cotton swab and the pennies, have them dip the cotton swab in the vinegar and start cleaning the pennies.
(pennies before cleaning)
(2) Pretend that you are disappointed in the results of the pennies not getting clean. Tell children - we need to read our instructions more carefully and then say, "now I understand we were supposed to mix the salt with the vinegar"!
(3) Have the children mix 1 tsp of salt into the vinegar, have them stir until dissolved.
(4) When completely dissolved have the children put the pennies in the mixture, using the cotton swabs to brush against the pennies. The results will be seen.
(5) Explain how the vinegar and the salt are like The Holy Spirit. We can try to be obedient on our own but it's too hard, we cannot do it on our own strength. It can be done by asking God for help.
(the same pennies now cleaned properly obeying the directions)
(6) Give the children the shiny penny to remind them how brightly their righteousness shines when they obey God.
(7) Have children pray for God to give them the desire to obey.
Ask the children the following questions when done with experiment:
What did I do wrong the first time?
~ Which instruction did I not follow at first?
~ Where do we find God's instructions?
~ Who can help you obey God's instructions?
~ What does the Bible say about children obeying their parents?
~ What does God promise to children who do obey their parents?
~ What does God say He will do for those who choose righteousness?
Scripture to go with lesson:
John 14:15-17 “If you love Me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever – the Spirit of truth . . .”
John 14:26 “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”
Psalm 37:5-6 “Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.”
Ephesians 6:1-3 “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 'Honor your father and mother' – which is the first commandment with a promise – 'That it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on earth.' ”
Colossians 3:20 “Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.”
What a great illustration for children to learn about how God wants us to obey and how He will help us in our sinful weaknesses!
Linking this homeschool post up to Homeschool Creations, Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers, Advenures in Mommydom, 1+1+1=1 this week!